It used to be that websites didn’t need mobile optimization to rank well in search engine results. That’s no longer the case. In fact, due to the growing amount of mobile traffic, Google has put in place a new algorithm that necessitates websites be optimized for mobile. Mobile SERPs (search engine results pages) will now depend on the mobile-friendliness of a website.
Because of this, search engine rankings will be impacted if sites fail to incorporate mobile optimization, which can result in a substantial loss of online traffic, customers and revenue. As the number of mobile users worldwide reaches a staggering 1.5 billion mark, this optimization becomes ever more essential.
This is definitely a new challenge for websites, but they should take it as an opportunity to reach their customers right where they are.
When is a site mobile-friendly?
– When it displays content clearly on any phone
– When its content is easily readable on any screen
– When browsing it does not require zooming or pinching
– When it’s easy to navigate with a finger
– When it loads quickly, even on mobile devices
– When it keeps users away from irrelevant cross-links
How to optimize a site for mobile?
It takes few simple steps to optimize a site for mobile:
– Choose a responsive design for your site where the URL and HTML stay the same
– Always consider mobile usability issues
– Never block page resources
– Use legible font sizes and adjust or size the content to the viewport
– Tell Google when the content is served in a dynamic way (via Vary HTTP header)
– Tell search engine when to use separate URLs for desktop and mobile versions
– Examine the page speed of your site and make it load and respond faster
– Avoid mobile redirects if possible
– Don’t use flash, and always try to design the website in HTML5
– Avoid using pop-ups
Some helpful facts about mobile optimization
– Native mobile apps can also be indexed by the Google App Indexing API
– Google will crawl the API, not the site
– Better rankings will be achieved with content that’s optimized per user location
– Apps with descriptive content get better rankings
– Positive reviews from app review sites help a lot
With a total of 1.5 billion mobile web users, it’s the right time to make your site mobile-ready before it’s left behind.
eZdia is helping out various clients in their Mobile Optimization Strategy implementation and execution. Feel free to CONTACT US for any of your requirement related with our services!