Google has long enjoyed a monopoly in the space of search engine rankings, and SEO is as important today as it’s ever been. But, when it comes to eCommerce and online shopping, the search engine has some fierce competition. Do you know its main competitor?
Amazon is that competitor! How come? Well, more people (individuals and entities alike) now visit Amazon.com to either search, buy or sell products and services. The user base of the shopping giant is soaring and with numbers reaching into the millions.
In fact, if stats are taken into account, then Amazon is the new Google for product searches. After all, 38 percent of consumers trust it to start their search before purchasing a product in comparison to 35 percent who trust Google.
To understand how large Amazon has grown over the years and why it’s become the first choice for many online shoppers, you need to look at some numbers -
Ranking policies – Google vs. Amazon
It’d be wrong to treat Google and Amazon SEO in the same way for ranking purposes as they are very different. If you do not get things right, you could lose a lot of advertising revenue and loose traction when it comes to online sales. That’s why it’s important to understand what works for one won’t for the other and come up with two completely different SEO approaches.
Tips for Promoting Your Store on Google
1. Add Alt-Text to Your Product Images
Search engines only read text not images so every product image must use Alt-Text to be crawled, read and indexed to boost their appeal.
2. Make use of Internal links
Although external sites linking to your online store is vital, you can’t underestimate the value internal links bring. So, try adding separate links to each product category or link to some best selling products from the home page.
3. Get a Blog for Your Store
Using a store blog gives you the opportunity to add more optimized text about products, create internal links to pages and keep the site active or dynamic so it gains additional marketing benefits.
4. Be Sensible With Words and Keywords in Product Descriptions
Make sure every product is accurately described with relevant keywords to maximize Google SEO.
5. Stay Away From Recycled or Duplicate Content
Make each product description unique. Get as creative as you can when describing your products and avoid using words and phrases that have been used before. Search engines frown on duplicated content.
6. Get Customer Reviews
When you post customer reviews, you not only get more descriptions about your products, you also increase search engine rankings and visibility.
7. Optimize Product Categories Separately
By adding different SEO metadata to every product page, you can optimize each category separately, which also increases SEO rankings and visibility.
Tips For Promote Your Store on Amazon
- Be sensible with the headline, use a product title that is descriptive and engaging and always use the most relevant keywords for the product
- Use strong keywords logically in the title and then in product description (not more than three times 300-word word product description)
- Analyze the product reviews of your competitors and ensure your items are competitively priced as this increasing both rank and sales prospects
- Always use high-quality images for your products and when possible include a short video to describe the product better
- Ask your customers to write product reviews
- Try driving more traffic to your product page as increased traffic helps to improve ranking
In a nutshell, if you sell on Amazon, SEO is something you can’t avoid. So, give it a try and help your business realize its true potential.